An end user found this issue and I was able to replicate on other environments.
If you have Outlook (2013 version tested) installed you are able to search on Lync for Users or Distribution Lists (DL) and add them to your personal contacts address list.
But for DL, the Skype for Business (Lync) client will crash:
- Search for an DL and right-click on the ‘see contact card’
- Click on the ‘add’ option
- The Outlook contact card management window will open, but S4B/Lync client will crash and restart
- The Outlook window will still be open, so you can still add the DL to your personal contacts
– It will also happens by right clicking on any existing DL that you have on the Lync contacts;
– The issue occurs with the Lync or S4B skins. In either cases the error windows will display ‘Microsoft Lync has stopped working…’
– If you add the DL on Outlook, the contact card option changes to ‘Edit’ and you can successfully change the DL using the Lync interface without any issues;
– Adding an user doesn’t causing any problem (maybe because only the Lync client interface is used?).
(UPDATE 11.11.2015 1:05am) CAUSE
After dump analysis and a lot of KB add/remove sequence I found the reason(s).
Turns out that Outlook updates and Lync/SfB updates are ‘not tested together’:
- if you install KB3085495 (Outlook Set2015) with KB3085581 (Lync/SfB Oct2015) already installed you will get the issue;
- (Not fully tested) you will also have the issue if you install previous Outlook updates and/or with KB3085500 (Lync/SfB Set2015) installed
SOLUTION / WORKAROUND
I haven’t found yet a decent solution or workaround and several KB repairs/remove, really change the behaviour of the issue:
- sometime it doesn’t crash but the add button doesn’t work anymore.
- Warning: uninstalling the outlook update can make Outlook client unable to connect to Exchange 😦